Saturday, October 30, 2010

Review: Revlon Age Defying Foundation For Dry Skin

Revlon's Age Defying Foundation for dry skin is my review for today. I was really excited to try this out since I loved the Age Defying cream concealer in this range. This comes in two types: for normal/combination skin and for dry skin with SPF 15. I really like foundations that cater specifically to certain skin types, that way you can get the foundation that's best for you. I have dry skin and I admit it sucks having this type of skin because you have to be careful how much makeup you put on or else it settles into lines and/or looks cakey. I think it's much easier to cover up imperfections if you have oily/combination skin, the foundation can look less obvious. I am on a mission to find the foundation that will best suit my skin, while still giving me coverage.



This foundation is "the only foundation with Botafirm™ to relax and visibly reduce expression lines. 95% of women saw an instant reduction in the appearance of expression lines. Instantly firms skin. Completely covers flaws." (Revlon website) Completely covers flaws eh? I will be the judge of that. It sells for $16-$19 Canadian at drugstores, I would say it's one of the most expensive drugstore foundations. I got it on sale for $13.99 in the colour "02 Bare Buff". First off, I love the colour match, it's not pink at all, more on the peachy side and it's not too light, but not too dark and suits me pretty well. I've compared it to other Revlon shades above. The finish on this is natural, it's not matte and does not have any shimmer in it, which I like.


The packaging on this sucks, it's just a turn top and it can get really messy. This foundation is really liquidy and thin, so it gets all over the place. It's hard to gage how much you need too, and I always pour out more than required, so you waste a lot of this. Also, mine had a giant security tag on the side of it, I tried to take it off but as you tell it's still there, and looks really bad. I hate when companies put ugly stickers on products it just ruins it for me.


Here it is swatched and blended in on my hand, as you call it's quite liquidy. It looks like it should give good coverage, but the coverage is light-medium. My main problem with this foundation is that it is marketed for dry skin, as a hydrating foundation but it really did not work for my skin. Regardless of how I applied it, with a brush (flat top, duo fibre or foundation brush) or with my hands, with and without a primer, spritzing my face first etc, it made my dry areas more obvious. It seemed to separate where my skin was dry too, and it's not a foundation that you can build at all.

The application of it was tricky too, for me, it was strictly a pat or stipple foundation, if I blended anything it just moved the product around and separated it. That was it's main downfall, the application was bad. I do like how this feels, like you aren't wearing anything and the coverage is moderate, but it just did not work well for my skin. It looks good on my hand there, covering up some redness, but I don't like how it sits on my face.

I will keep using this because I do like the colour of it and how thin and liquidy it is, but it's not for me. Maybe when my skin feels less dry, or if I use a super thick creme this may work okay for me. I have read that the normal/combination variety is more emollient than this dry one, which makes no sense since more emollient, rich products should be better for drier skin. I don't intend on trying the other type any time soon since this product is so expensive however.

Have you tried this Revlon foundation? Did it work for you?

5 comments:

Jamie Dorman said... Best Blogger Tips

THe ironic thing about this foundation is that the formula for oily skin is actually more emollient. I recommend you return this for the oily skin version and try it out because the formula of the oily skin version is better for dry skin. I was surprised to discover this from the ingredients but it's true!

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Poorcollegestudent - funny I wrote that at the end of my review... I don't know how comfortable I am returning it/exchanging it, stores around here do not let you return used makeup or at least from my experience. I will look around for the receipt though. Thanks for the advice.

Christina said... Best Blogger Tips

Bummer about the packaging. Why can't they put that wonderful Photoready pump on everything?

Jennet said... Best Blogger Tips

Yeah, I agree with Christina-- they should put a pump on these things! lol.

Justine (Productrater) said... Best Blogger Tips

@Christina and wuguimei - I agree, ALL foundations should have a pump, or at least those squeezy tips that clinique foundations have either one is fine, no giant hole to pour out of. And especially when you pay almost $20 for a drugstore foundation, it should!